Sunday, August 25, 2013

"Enough Ees Too Much!"

In the Warner Bros. cartoon "I Love to Singa", little "Owl Jolson" wants nothing more than to be a jazz singer. His father, a classical musician, cannot bear the thought, and for him enough is not just enough, but it "ees too much"! Until it isn't. Because eventually, of course, Dad comes around, and much jazz music is made by all.

Well, for me, too, enough ees too much, and beautiful music has not yet been made of all the things I've had enough of. I have had enough of cats waking me up, weather that won't cooperate, and pretending that my hair isn't grey. Other things I've had enough of include
  • Gossip
  • Well-meaning people
  • Being penny-wise and pound-foolish
  • Supermarkets full of food I can't eat
  • Dead tadpoles and frogs
  • The silence of birds in August
  • Bird-killing cats (can this be the reason?)
  • Sunscreen, spray-on or otherwise
  • Plans
  • Feeling inadequate, tired, and overwhelmed
  • Fear
  • Email and being continuously connected
  • Screens in general -- they're everywhere!
  • The barely controllable urge for an iPhone
  • Being competent
  • Insight (it's cheap)
  • Living indoors
  • Harry Potter -- I thought I wanted to know what happens in the end, but I'm not sure I do anymore. After all, we know he can't die.
  • Sleeping pills
  • Bugs -- how many hatches of blackflies are allowed in one year, anyway?
  • The twitch in my right eyelid. It used to be in my left; now I'm confused.
  • Squash plants that are all leaves and no fruit. It doesn't help that the leaves are spiky.
  • Fall coming in August (though it does make it easier to go back to work)
  • Bicycles that claim to have 21 speeds but really don't because so many of them overlap
  • Everything falling apart: rotting wood, peeling paint, creaking floors, mental mush
  • Houseplants
Like Owl Jolson,
I love to sing-a,
About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,
I love to sing-a,
About a sky of blue-a, or a tea for two-a,
Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a,"
I love to, I love to sing!


But instead of the "moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

I have to singa, 'bout the cats and the electronic thing-a(s)
I have to singa, 'bout the sky so blue when I have work to do
and the plants that die and the twitch in my eye and the end of July (and August)...
I have to, I have to sigh!

Sigh.
But the blue sky still makes me want to sing-a, so I will-a,
because I'll never have enough but it's not about that stuff
So I sing-a, 'bout September and the leaves that are turning
And I leave behind the summer and the yearning
For an easy life without all the strife.
I have to, I have to sing!

Because while "Enough ees too much", too much can also be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment